Parent & Grandparent Super Visa
The government has placed a two year moratorium on new parent & grandparent sponsorships to reduce backlog. In the meantime, a new Super Visa came into effect on December 1, 2011.
It allows eligible parents and grandparents to apply and enjoy visiting their family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew status. The multiple-entry visa is valid for up to 10 years and current processing times are between 2 – 8 weeks.
To qualify the applicant must…
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- be found admissible to Canada;
- provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada who meets a certain economic threshold;
- prove that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and
- complete an immigration medical examination.
Visa officers consider several factors before deciding if a person is admissible:
- The person must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of the visit. Among the things that could be considered are:
- the person’s ties to the home country;
- the purpose of the visit;
- the person’s family and financial situation;
- the overall economic and political stability of the home country; and
- an invitation from a Canadian host.
Contact us today to learn more!