20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Deportations & Illegal Immigration

Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Application

Q. I am divorced and I lived with my son in Canada for almost six years from September 2001 to February 2007 as a refugee.  After spending all that time in Canada, my refugee claim was rejected by the government and I had to return to my country, Chile. I already applied as skilled worker as a Computer & IT Manager, but my application was refused, because I did not describe my duties.  Can I get a letter from my supervisor and request the re-opening of the file? What will be a more convenient way to handle this and what are the chances of us getting a permanent residence in Canada? Thank you.

A. Unfortunately, a letter from your supervisor will not be grounds to a re-open a file. Once a decision is made, Immigration Canada is very reluctant to re-open a case, unless there are compelling factors.  Your case is further complicated as you are a failed refugee claimant and likely were subject to a deportation order and are inadmissible to Canada. Even if you qualify for immigration under any of the categories currently in force, you will need, aside from an immigrant visa, an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC).  An ARC is special permission from Immigration Canada to overcome what is a lifetime ban – deportation order.  In addition, as of June 26, your occupation is no longer on the designated occupations list.  In short, you have many obstacles to deal with and should consult a professional.  Good luck!

Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In