20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Canadian Immigration Law

Overseas Immigration

Q. Good day Sir, I would like to be a Canadian citizen. What are the steps I should take to get it? I am a 27-year old Lebanon accountant, working for an oil company for approximately 6 years as an internal auditor. I will be going for a one year training course in the USA, for a non degree MBA. This course starts in July 2008, and then I would like to move to Canada. My uncle is Canadian and he lives there for more than 10 years. I look forward to being in Canada in 2009 after my training in the USA. I would like to know what the best way to obtain Canadian citizenship is. Looking forward to hearing from you.

A. First of all, the question confuses Canadian citizenship with Canadian permanent residency. These are two completely different things. Anybody immigrating to Canada becomes a permanent resident first, before qualifying for citizenship. Generally speaking, once someone is physically present (as a permanent resident) in Canada for 1095 days (3 years) they can apply for citizenship. With respect to your permanent residency application we must determine if you score 67 points out of 100 based on your education, work history and language ability among other factors. Also you must apply outside Canada for permanent residency in this category. The closest office to Toronto is Buffalo – so can you apply there? Assuming you have at least a one-year study permit visa in the United States than you can submit your application in Buffalo (must have lawfully entered a country and had immigration status for one year before you can make application for permanent residence through that country). The difference means faster processing of your application! For more information, visit my website. Thank you for your question.

Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In