Permanent Resident Card
What is a Permanent Resident Card?
A Permanent Resident Card is an official proof for one’s status as a permanent resident in Canada. The plastic card is wallet-sized and is required for all Canadian permanent residents wishing to re-enter Canada through a commercial carrier (plane, bus, boat, etc.). As of August 24, 2009, there have been several changes to the look of the PR Card along with added security features. New permanent residents will automatically receive their new cards as part of the immigration process.
If you fall under the following categories, you may apply for a PR card:
- You received your permanent resident status prior to June 28, 2002
- You became a permanent resident on or after June 28, 2002 but have not obtained a PR Card
- Your PR Card is lost, expired, or stolen
Those who need to apply for a Permanent Resident Card fall under three categories:
- Applying for a first Permanent Resident Card
- Replacing a lost, stolen, or expired Permanent Resident Card
- Requiring urgent processing of Permanent Resident Card application
It is important to check whether your PR Card has expired before travelling outside of Canada. For new permanent residents, the processing time is approximately 35 days. For existing permanent residents, the processing time is approximately 151 calendar days.
Contact us to see if you qualify for a PR card today!