20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

This Week’s Frequently Asked Question:

Mario D. Bellissimo’s Answer:

A: This is a common question from people who want to help their aging relatives from abroad.  This is not a question about having dual citizenship, because both Canada and the USA recognize dual citizenship. The issue here is how to obtain citizenship (or more immediately permanent resident status) and in your aunt’s situation it is very unlikely. She may come and visit for 6 months at a time but not to establish a home in Canada. Also, you must be aware and prepared for any medical expenses in case she becomes ill while visiting. Although you cannot sponsor your aunt if you qualify, you could sponsor your parents. The sponsorship of parents is a very lengthy process, but once in Canada, they are entitled to the same benefits as any other permanent resident. Good luck!

Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In