20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Refugee Protection

Q: When should I apply for refugee protection?

A: You should make your claim for refugee protection at the earliest opportunity. You can either make your claim at the place where you enter Canada, called a port of entry, or you can make your claim at a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Office inside Canada, called an in-land office, after you have arrived in Canada. No matter where you make your refugee claim, you must take all of your identity documents with you. You will be asked to fill out a number of forms about your background and your family and explain why you fear returning to your country of origin.

  • If you claim when you enter Canada an officer will decide if you are eligible to claim refugee protection. If you are eligible you will be given a date for your refugee hearing as well as a number of forms, including a Basis of Claim form, to complete. These forms must be submitted within 15 days.
  • If you make your claim at an office in Canada you must prepare all of your forms before you make your claim and bring these forms with you to the inland office.

At Bellissimo Law Group we can help you prepare these documents before you make your claim. You can visit our website www.bellissimolawgroup.com for more information or to book a consultation.


Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In