20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Immigration Sponsorships

Are you a permanent resident or Canadian citizen who wants to sponsor a loved one to come to Canada?

If so, we can help! We have assisted in many successful sponsorship cases. This can be one of the happiest times of your life and, where necessary, here at BLG we can assist with the process.

For more information regarding sponsorships, including whether you qualify to sponsor a loved one, the requirements for sponsorship and how to proceed with a sponsorship application, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with Mario Bellissimo.

Can My Wife Be Still Deported, Though I Sponsored Her?

Why Can’t Our Parents Visit Us?

Q: My parents were once Canadian permanent residents, but they went back to Nicaragua over 16 years ago. Three years ago, they applied for a visitor visa as they wanted to come and visit both me and my brother and all their grandchildren. However, immigration visa office denied them the visa saying that their application was suspicious and that they are residents of Canada, but they are not as they have been out of the country for a long time. What can we do so that they can come visit us? They do not want to live in Canada, they want to be able to come visit us whenever they want. Thank you.

A: Your parents are not alone in this situation. Many people who contact us experience the same problem. At one time they were permanent residents but did not officially give up their residency and as such remain in the system. At the same time however, they did not comply with residency requirements and therefore cannot travel to Canada as even visitors.

There are two ways of dealing with this issue but I believe only the first applies to your case. One, they must attend at the visa office and ask for the form which allows them to give up their permanent resident status. This is the easy and most advisable way if they have no desire to maintain their permanent residency. After this process is complete, they should be given visitor visas although that too is not a guarantee.

Two, your parents can attempt to maintain their permanent resident status. The process begins with the request of a travel document at the visa office wherein they will be certainly refused as they did not comply with the residency obligation (physically present in Canada, 2 of the last 5 years). Then they can appeal the decision to the Immigration Appeal Division and attempt to maintain their permanent residency status. But from what you indicate this is not their desire and based on the facts presented extremely unlikely to succeed.

Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In