April 18, 2023

18-Month Extension of Post-graduation Work Permits to Retain Foreign Workers

Posted by Lijing Cao - Bellissimo Law Group PC

Given the crucial role that international graduates have played in addressing Canada’s labour shortage during the economic recovery post-pandemic, new measures to retain skilled talents were announced in March 2023. Starting 6 April 2023, post-graduation work permit (PGWP) holders whose work permits have expired or will expire between 20 September 2021 and 31 December 2023 may qualify for up to an additional 18-month extension of open work permits. 

Eligible current and former post-graduation work permit holders must either opt in to the 2023 simplified process to receive a new work permit if they receive an email from IRCC in this regard, or they must submit a work permit application under the 2023 public policy.  

The subject line of the IRCC email is “2023 Special Measure: Opt-in for Valid PGWP Holders”. Detailed instructions on how to opt in to a simplified process to get a post-graduation work permit can be found by clicking here. Certain conditions must be met in order to opt into the simplified process. Eligible PGWP holders should opt in through their IRCC account before 20 May 2023 if their work permits are expiring. 

For those who don’t opt in before their work permits expire or are not eligible to opt in, they must apply for a work permit. Note that they should apply online for this open work permit on or before 31 December 2023.  

For those applying from inside Canada, the application instructions can be found at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-in-canada.html  

For applicants outside of Canada, the application instructions can be found at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/post-graduation-work-permit-holders/apply-outside-canada.html  

This article is prepared for information only and it is not intended to be legal advice. For further advice on the topic, please consult one of our team members.