Passport Applications


On October 20, 2014, Passport Canada introduced a series of changes. The changes refer to the identity documents (ID) required for passport applications.

The new criteria has been added to the proof of identity for applicants age 16 and over. The identity documents must be issued by a federal or provincial/territorial government authority, or local equivalent abroad, and must include:

  • name,
  • date of birth,
  • sex,
  • photo, and
  • signature.

One can submit one or more supporting ID documents to prove all of the above elements. Otherwise, if one element is missing, the application will be refused.

When somebody applies for a new passport in an assumed relationship surname/ family name that is different from the name on his/her birth or citizenship certificate, that person mustsubmit one of the following documents, along with their birth or citizenship certificate:

  • a marriage certificate; or
  • a common-law relationship certificate; or
  • a court order (i.e. separation agreement or divorce order/judgment) issued by a court of law in or outside Canada; or
  • a certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship; or
  • a resumption of surname certificate.

The identity document submitted together with the passport application, must display the relationship surname that the person is requesting.

It is important to notify Passport Canada immediately should your passport be lost or stolen. There will be a new fee of $45 for replacement of a passport.
Canadians Living Abroad

As of December 9, 2013, applicants for a Canadian passport living outside Canada have the option of choosing a guarantor much easier:

  • an adult with a valid or recently expired Canadian passport (less than a year); or
  • a member of an expanded list of a variety of occupations listed below.

The guarantor does not need to be a Canadian citizen, if they are in one of the following occupations:

  • Medical doctor
  • Dean/head of university or college
  • Dentist
  • Judge
  • Lawyer/notary
  • Notary public
  • Pharmacist
  • Police officer
  • Signing officer of a bank or trust company or of a financial institution that offers a full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits, savings)
  • Veterinarian

In the event that you have been refused issue of a passport, your passport is revoked and/or you have been refused passport services, you may appeal and seek judicial review of the decision in Federal Court. Here at Bellissimo Immigration Law Group we pride ourselves on being one of the leading law firms that deal with refusals and litigation.

Contact Us

Important Immigration Court Decisions

What Our Clients Are Saying

[google-reviews-pro place_photo= place_name=”Bellissimo Law Group” place_id=ChIJIWRzuDwzK4gRE0Teon_9Cm4 auto_load=true rating_snippet=true disable_user_link=true view_mode=slider slider_speed=5 slider_count=2 open_link=true hide_float_badge=true lazy_load_img=true]