November 14, 2018
OINP – Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) is an economic immigration program designed to help Ontario meet its labour market and economic development priorities. The OINP is made up of three categories: Business, Employer Job Offer and Human Capital. Each category is comprised of various streams under which applicants may submit an application.
One of the most common/popular streams is the Ontario’s Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream, which is designed for skilled workers who want to live and work permanently in Ontario.
Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream: Who Can Apply?
To be eligible to apply under Ontario’s Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream, the applicant must meet provincial and federal eligibility criteria. To qualify under this stream one must:
- Have a valid profile in the Express Entry pool;
- Qualify for either the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC);
- Indicate an interest in immigrating to either Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories” when you create a profile in Express Entry; AND
- Have received a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your IRCC online account.
Ontario Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream Criteria:
To be eligible to apply, the applicant must meet the following provincial criteria:
- Work Experience: A minimum of either:
- one year work experience within the past five years according to the criteria under the Federal Skilled Workers Program;
- one year work experience within the past three years according to the criteria under the Canadian Experience Class;
- Education: Equivalent of a Canadian Bachelor’s degree or above;
- Language: A minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in English or in French;
- Settlement Funds: A minimum level of savings or income to support you and your family members;
- Intent: An intention to live in Ontario;
- Legal Status in Canada (if applicable): Must have legal status in Canada (i.e., study permit, work permit, visitor record) if currently residing in Canada. (Note: Refugee claimants with a pending application to remain in Canada are not eligible to apply to OINP. Refugee claimants whose claim has been rejected, abandoned, or withdrawn must exit Canada prior to applying to OINP. Refugee claimants may only apply to OINP once they have left Canada);
- Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Score: Must have obtained a minimum CRS score under the Express Entry system as determined by the director.
How Can I Apply?
Step 1: Create an online Express Entry profile;
Step 2: If OINP identifies you in the Express Entry pool, you will receive a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your IRCC online account. This notification will invite you to apply to OINP for nomination under the Human Capital Priorities Stream;
Step 3: After you receive a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your IRCC online account, you have 45 calendar days to apply to OINP under the Human Capital Priorities Stream. Please note that the application fee is $1,500, and is non-refundable;
Step 4: Accept nomination from Ontario and apply for permanent residence
- If your application is approved by Ontario, you will receive a letter from OINP through your IRCC online account notifying you of your nomination. You have 30 calendar days to accept the nomination from Ontario in the Express Entry system.
- A nomination from Ontario will give you an additional 600 points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and you will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence from IRCC.
- Once you receive an invitation to apply from IRCC, you have 90 calendar days to submit your application for permanent residence to IRCC.
Want to Learn More?
Bellissimo Law Group PC provides reliable and professional assistance to applicants at all stages of the process.