20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Work and Study Permits

Changes for International Students

Q. Your articles are so helpful, thank you. I have a very important question for my future. I am here from Taiwan on a work permit after finishing my three year degree. I heard the law changed and I can get an extension to 3 years? Can I even change employers?

A. Yes the changes to the program include extending the duration of a work permit to three years across the country for those whose program of study is at least two years providing the flexibility for new graduates to work in any field and not just their field of study; and removing the requirement to have a job offer. You could even hold two jobs at one time and change employers as you want. The backgrounder issued from Citizenship and Immigration Canada includes: To be eligible for the program, international students: Must have studied full-time for the eight months preceding the completion of their program of studies and have graduated from: a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, university or CEGEP (in Quebec); or a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and that receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify); or a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees. For more details visit my website, under my blog Ask the Specialist. Thank you for your question and enjoy your new opportunity.

Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In