July 20, 2010

Study in Canada

Posted by admin - Bellissimo Law Group PC

Q. My three nephews are currently studying in Canada as foreign students in high school. They pay approximately $ 10,000 a year to study in Canada. They have completed two years and they will graduate from high school in 2001, and they would like to continue their education in a college or university. Is it possible for them to apply and become permanent residents while they are in school, after having two years of study in Canada?

A. You may have read on the Immigration Department website that after completing two years of study in Canada, a person may apply for permanent residency. Unfortunately, the program you are likely referring to does not apply to your nephews’ case. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) refers to college or university graduates who, after being enrolled in a program of study of at least two years, can obtain an open work permit and then, after having gathered work experience for one full year, apply for permanent residency. In your nephews’ case, they have not yet completed high school. So, they do not have a Canadian degree or diploma or work experience. Your nephews must complete high school, then a college/university diploma/degree and one year of relevant work experience and then apply. As the old saying goes, good things happen to those who wait. Good luck!