20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Temporary Migration

A temporary resident can remain in Canada on a short-term basis for a prescribed purpose.


You may apply for a temporary visa as a student, a foreign worker, a live-in caregiver or a visitor.

You may not be admitted into Canada as a visitor if you are involved in a criminal activity.  If you have violated any human rights laws or engaged in an organized crime, you may also be inadmissible. Other factors for inadmissibility include health or financial reasons. If you are going to Canada for a visit, you must possess a valid travel document such as a passport. You must assure an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit and that you are able to return to your country of origin after your visit. You are also responsible for your own spendings during your stay in Canada. Additional documents that might be needed depending on your situation include a  temporary resident visa, medical examination, and a letter of invitation from someone residing in Canada.


Canada introduced an entry requirement (Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)) for certain visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air in March 2016. The requirement was introduced under the Canada U.S. Beyond the Border Action Plan in order to develop a common approach to pre-screening air travelers entering to either country.

As of November 10, 2016:

  • Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight to Canada;
  • Permanent residents of Canada will require a valid permanent residence card; and
  • All visa-exempt travellers (except U.S. citizens) will need an eTA to board flights to Canada.

Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada warns air travellers that if they do not possess a valid travel document that proves their Canadian citizenship at check-in, they may not be able to board the flight. Exception is for American and American-Canadian citizens who do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada if they are travelling with a valid US passport.

How it works:

The eTA applications are made online and cost $7 (Canadian).  Submission of basic information, such as passport and biographic information will be requested.  Most applications will be processed online within minutes; however, non-routine cases will be deferred to an office inside Canada for further processing before a decision is made. Generally, eTAs will be issued for 5 years, or until the expiry of your passport, whichever is sooner.  Shorter durations could also be granted in cases where there are inadmissibility issues such as criminality or fraud.

Once issued, the eTA will be an electronic document listing your name, date and place of birth, gender, address, nationality, and passport and/or travel document information. Although you will receive an email indicating the status of your eTA, the eTA itself will be electronically linked to your passport.

The Canada Border Services Agency (“CBSA”) has also implemented the Interactive Advance Passenger Information System (“IAPI”).  IAPI  allows passengers on international flights to Canada to be screened prior to boarding. This  allows the government to confirm with airlines whether travellers requiring an eTA are properly documented for travel to Canada and prevent travel for those who are not.

Foreign nationals who are approved work or study permits in Canada are automatically issued an eTA (if required) and will not need to submit a separate application or fee for this purpose.

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

LMIAs/Work Permits

Study Permits


Visitor Visas

Super Visa


Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In