September 2, 2010
Things Are A-Changing!
The sheer pace of immigration law in 2010 and the number of changes to the law is staggering. To name a few:
- The investor program is on hold and being reworked,
- There are new foreign worker provisions in effect,
- There are changes coming to the Live in Caregiver Program;
- There are changes proposed for the Citizenship Act;
- Refugee reform will be implemented in the next year or so and
- The Skilled Worker Program occupations list is frequently amended.
For the most part I believe this is a positive sign of an immigration program that must be more proactive and responsive to ongoing and frequent global shifts and domestic needs for labour while meeting our international obligations. From an immigration law firm’s stand point it has never been so challenging albeit exciting to stay on top of the changes and ensuring our clients receive the most up to date information and benefit from any changes to the law. As Canada slowly returns to the real world next week from sunny and fun summer retreats I assume the pace will only increase!