August 28, 2020
New Public Policy: Visitors Now Allowed to Apply for Work Permits from Within Canada!
On 24 August 2020, the Government of Canada introduced a new program for visitors in Canada. Visitors will be able to apply for an employer-specific work permit from within Canada if they meet the following criteria:
- They have valid visitor status
- They have been in Canada since 24 August 2020
- They have a job offer
- They submit an application no later than 31 March 2021
- Their employer submits an application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) no later than 31 March 2021.
- They meet all normal admissibility criteria
They will not have to leave Canada before getting approved.
Persons who had a valid Work Permit during the past 12 months will also be able to apply for a new Work Permit, and even work prior to final approval of their new application.
If you have questions about Work Permits, feel free to contact our office to schedule a consultation.