20 Eglinton Ave. West, Toronto ON | Mon-Fri 9:00 - 6:00

Frequently Asked Questions

Winter Olympics

Mario D. Bellissimo’s Answer:

Actually, we are receiving many questions regarding the Winter Olympics so this week and next I will address some of the questions.  By regulation, professional and amateur teams and individuals are allowed to enter Canada and compete without a work permit. The same is true for foreign athletes that are members of Canadian amateur teams. This covers coaches and trainers, racing car drivers, amateur athletes playing for Canadian teams as well as individuals attending professional team tryouts; so Olympic athletes and coaches are deemed to be amateurs so they are exempt. However, if the person is a professional or semi-professional athlete or coach traveling to Canada to play, train for or coach a professional Canadian team, they require a work permit although they might not be required to obtain a Labour Market Opinion(LMO).  LMOs basically address and protect Canadian work force interests before hiring a foreign national. So although Olympic athletes and coaches do not require a work permit they are all screened for security interests.  More on the Olympics next week. Thank you for your question.

Highest Professional Recognition / Featured In